Sunday, December 29, 2013

Place mug here...


I have been so busy working on school, holiday stuff and challenge team commitments that I have not had any time to participate in other challenges. 

Over at Just Add Ink they are having a "Just Add Your Christmas Project" and I thought YAY!! I have a gift project I make every year with my niece and nephew for their teachers. The art teachers go gaga over these!

 I color stone tiles, easily available at Home Depot or Lowes with alcohol inks or in this case copic markers. I then stamp my image on tissue paper. I spread a layer of Future floor finish by Pledge on the tile and lay the tissue paper on top and it embeds itself into the tile. If any areas seem dry, I add more floor finish. I tear off the excess tissue paper. (by this time everything is so saturated it tears easily.) When it is completely dry, I spray it with a few layers of Krylon triple thick crystal clear glaze. I adhere cork to the bottom of the tile and the coaster is ready to use. 

One of these day I will make a video or photo tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.


6 comments:

Marisa said...

I haven't made coasters in ages. These are wonderful :)

Trish *Spring Blossom* said...

What a fantastic idea! These are beautiful and a lovely Christmas gift.

Thanks for sharing this project with us at Just Add Ink.

Trish
JAI Design Team

Paula Dobson said...

I love your coasters!! Very arty. No wonder the teachers go gaga over them. Thanks for playing at JAI ♥

KimB said...

What a great Christmas project! Love your colours so atmospheric! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink.

Anonymous said...

These are just gorgeous! Lucky teachers! Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink

Anonymous said...

These are just gorgeous! Lucky teachers! Thanks for playing along with us at Just Add Ink